Perfect pancakes with MasterChef Gary MacLean
This Shrove Tuesday, to launch our WEE BOX Big Change Appeal, we’ve teamed up with MasterChef Gary MacLean to bring you the recipe for the perfect pancake.
Winner of MasterChef: The Professionals and Scotland’s National Chef, Gary Maclean is passionate about food. As a Senior Chef Lecturer at City of Glasgow College he’s also dedicated to helping young people realise their potential. This is why he’s backing the WEE BOX.
Here’s his Scotch Pancakes recipe:
Perfect Pancakes with Gary MacLean
150g Self-raising flour
50g Caster Sugar
- Mix the milk, eggs and sugar in a bowl.
- Gradually add the flour until you get a thick batter type consistency. Depending on the size of the eggs you might need a little less or a little more flour. The most important thing is to achieve the correct consistency.
- Test the heat of the pan by putting a teaspoonful of batter in the pan. If it sizzles and cooks in less than a minute it is ready.
- Drop tablespoons of the batter onto the pan and smooth with the back of a spoon.
- Cook until bubbles start to appear on the surface of each pancake. This will take about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Flip the pancakes over and cook until firm and golden.
- Keep the pancakes warm and repeat with the remaining batter.
Enjoy your pancakes!